Monday, July 07, 2008

Tactical repeats

It's funny how certain combinations can show up again and again in games. Sometimes, I remember having the feeling that using such combinations was cheating - I didn't really win that game, I just used that old trick again. I wonder if there is something to that sense though. We can begin to rely on specific tactics in certain kinds of positions. If you've got a trick that the opponent seems to fall for over and over again, you can get lazy and fail to develop a greater sense of the nuances of the position(s).So here's a good case in point. I was black here, and this is just the sort of position where I developed a pattern in 2007 of always striving to nab the a-pawn.
14...Nc4
15.Bc1 Nxa3
16.e5 dxe5
17.Bxb7 Qxb7
18.bxa3 exd4
19.Rxd4 and I went on to win after a long struggle.

Here's another example, same theme.

Once again, 16...Nxa3 works to perfection.

And another one:

And of course, Nxa3!
It gets to the point where you can think of it, Sicilian defense 101 - go for the a-pawn with your knight and hope your opponent has an undefended knight on c3...

I think though, that the more important lesson to draw is a certain tactical awareness so that you can be primed and aware when similar opportunities arise in disimilar positions. For example:

Here I was white against a strong expert, and it was with great relish that I unleashed Bxh6! which let me off the hook after a long a difficult effort to mobilize my hanging pawns, and I went on to win.

7 Comments:

Blogger BlunderProne said...

Soooo, does this mean you will be coming to the club sometime soon?

(Plus, I've been studying a couple old time tournaments and bloggin about them recently. I was looking a the games from the London 1851 period this past spring and this summer i am doing a series on Hastings 1895)

11:15 AM  
Blogger chess addict said...

HI, Would you mind if we exchange links in our chess blogs? I will your link in my blog and also my link in your blog. Just take a visit in my chess blog and inform me if its okay for you. Thank you so much.

Regards,

Borislav Kaguvkov

5:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you are saying that you have selected your black openings based on the fact that you can play Nxa3?

Or does it just happen to be luck that all your opponents let you play Nxa3?

Or do you trive to get a chess game you are playing towards your Nxa3 posibility?

It's nice to see that atleast you have some system that you can use over and over again.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to inform you that i moved my blog to
HTTP://CHESSTIGER.WORDPRESS.COM
so that it's easier to leave comments.

Hope to see you there!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

I like your blog. It's very informative and relates to my site as well. Would you be interested in exchanging links on our blog rolls?

Thanks,
free-online-chess.com

9:33 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

perfecion

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We at Chessboss.com strongly believe in necessity of chess to increase both knowledge and understanding. It is unfortunate that the oldest game in the world (Chess) has a very little fan base, ChessBoss.com aims to change that. We understand the importance of blogs and the information made available on them. We are working towards building a strong fan base around our FREE chess server to better increase the use of Chess online. Your blog seems to have a large viewing public and seems to hold great information which I would love to make available to my viewing public.

Chessboss.com is awarding you as top blog and if you would like to get the banner, please email me back with the subject line as your URL to avoid Spam and also to make sure that you only get the banner

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home