Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Little Chess

Work has been swamping my chess playing schedule this month, so there hasn't been much action to write about. As these things go, a little action often means mediocre action, but I think I've learned some things, even from sporadic and inconsistent play.I was white here, and feeling pretty forlorn already. Clearly, I've lost an exchange, and I was just trying to come up with a way of holding down the damage. Hence,
15.Bd2? Nxa1
16.Qxa1 etc. and I was playing to somehow not lose.
Soon after the game, the idea 15.Rb1! was pointed out to me by none other than BCC Master Riordan, and I immediately protested that it lost the d-pawn. It must be bad right? Ahem. Play might have proceeded something like: 15...Nxd4 16.Nfxd4 Bxb1 17.Nc3 Bg6 18.f5 exf5 19.Bxd5 Rb8 20.e6 fxe6 21.Nxe6And white is looking very happy, superior development and open lines accounting for the material. Again and again I have come across this lesson - it is absolutely CRUCIAL in chess to be concrete - look deeper at lines that you want to dismiss instinctively and hunt for attacking patterns, especially when things are going badly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting line..for black how about 15..Ne1 instead of 15..Nxd4, with the idea of 16..Nxg2 if 16.Ra1. White's king would be weakened, black's light sq bishop looks strong and he keeps White out of d4?

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home