Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Arghhh!


Not much chess for me over the past few weeks. (I missed a game at the weekly club to be in NYC for the big explosion up in midtown...) But I think I'll be playing a tournament this next upcoming weekend, so there should be more grist for the posts soon enough. I have had one encounter though, but not a very inspiring one.

White: Neil Cousin (1924)
Black: Joshua Haunstrup (1880)
Event: MCC Independence Day Swiss (4)
Date: 2007-07-24
(C01 French, Exchange)
1 e4 e6
2 d4 d5
3 exd5 exd5
4 Nf3 Bg4
5 Be2 Nc6
6 c3 Bd6?
That's right, in my incredible urge to hurry up and get my pieces out aggressively and then force through opposite sides castling - for pity's sake, there's got to be better things in life to do than sit around and draw Exchange French positions - I went and dropped a pawn right out of the opening. The clear reply is 7.Qb3 and it's hasta la vista to my hopes of winning the tournament - maybe a long painful grind with some dim glimmer of a draw chance if he screws up. But, of course, as I sat there in agony, looking at my blunder, he didn't see it, and shot right out with 7.0-0. Yeah, enough said. It was long. It was painful. We were one of the last boards going. It was drawn... Arghhh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home